Friday, May 19, 2006

MAKE sense...

About what we said yesterday...

In the English language, people make sense of things, and things make sense -- when they do, of course!

I like this use of the verb to make because it focuses on the sculptoreal, or constructive side of creativity.

In the Italian language, things are said to have sense, and the expression is that you give sense to something. I think this is less indicative of what actually happens when people create communication.

To what verbs is "sense" -- or rather "meaning" -- associated in your languages?


***

gwen said...

We said, become a sense or be a sense in Korean. :)

***

Ariel said...
I can't think of a proper verb that we use for "make sense" in Chinese. I think it might be more like let it have sense

***

I think that become a sense is a fantastic expression! So now I want to learn Korean!

1 comment:

Ariel said...

I can't think of a proper verb that we use for "make sense" in Chinese. I think it might be more like "let it have sense"